Friday, May 2, 2008

The Verdict

At around 2.15am after several recounts, and discussions over dubiously marked ballot papers, the result was finally announced that I won the election in Coleridge by a mere 14 votes. It was an amazing night of results in Cambridge City - the Greens winning Abbey ward to win a seat on Cambridge City Council for the first time, Labour retaking Arbury, but losing by a fair margin in Kings Hedges.

I would like to thank everyone who voted for me yesterday, and in particular my team of helpers, many of whom performed heroics to find those extra votes needed to win. Also, my sincerest commiserations to Tariq - to lose by such a small margin at a time of such (rightfully) huge Labour losses across the Country is no mean feat, and as much as I disagree with the Labour solution to many of Coleridge's problems, on many local ward issues I will doubtless be following up where he left off.

The title of this blog will change to reflect the new situation, and I hope to use it to keep residents informed of the issues affecting the ward, and what I have been doing to tackle them. Now I think some sleep is long overdue.

UPDATE: Full results available here.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Fantastic to have a Conservative on the council! Well done, Chris - you worked so hard in your campaign and I'm sure you'll be a very fine councillor for Coleridge.

Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your election as Councillor. I voted for the first time in 5 years and voted Conservative for the first time since 1992, primarily because I was impressed with your election agenda but also because you bothered to get election literature into our flats in Regency Court, unlike the LibDems!